The Civil War had just ended in 1865. Louisville being a river town had great opportunity for new business. In 1866 C. Phillip Brecher and five others started a foundry casting fire backs and grates that would come to be the Brecher Company. The fireplace in the 1800's was the center of the home and office. The company built a showroom at 433 West Jefferson to display its products. The Brecher Company began manufacturing fireplace mantels, hearths, and gaslights as Louisville grew.
In 1879 Thomas Edison invented the incandescent lightbulb. The new technology brought new opportunity and the Brecher Company began manufacturing combination gaslights and electric lighting. Since these humble beginnings the company has evolved with the community. In 1951 the company moved across the street to 422 West Jefferson. In the early 60's the Brecher Company opened a branch in the Brownsboro Center as Louisville grew eastward. In 1969 the Brecher Company moved to its current location on Hurstbourne Parkway and in 1979 opened a second location in Lexington. The Brecher Company is the largest supplier of decorative lighting in the state. The company is locally owned and operated and in its sixth generation of leadership. From firelight to gaslight and electric light the Brecher Company has been your source for lighting since 1866.